For more interesting history on the winter holidays and traditions see “Christmas Traditions and Prayer”.
No matter what time of year or for what reason, gift giving is something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation; it shows we love or care for the individual receiving the gift.
I remember when this time of year involved making gifts for family and the friends closest to us. It was a time to contemplate the year as it comes to a close and plan for the new year. I still think this is the best way to celebrate the December holiday season.
Here are some tips for accumulating gifts for your special family and friends, without breaking the bank.
- Shop for wrapping paper and ribbon, etc. at discount stores and after Holiday sales and store in one place. I try to choose the kind of paper that does NOT necessarily go to a specific holiday or event so it can be used any time of the year for anything.
- Save scraps of wrapping paper or old cards for your gift tags. I keep a pair of pinking shears around just for this.
- Set aside a closet, trunk or even a plastic bin for accumulating gifts for the special people on your lists.
- During the year when you see something is just right for someone on your list, purchase, wrap and gift tag it with the person’s name and put in the bin for you to use for a birthday, special occasion or holiday gift.
- If I get a gift that comes in a basket or some kind of different reusable container I save these for my homemade gifts. I also save fabric scraps that I use to line these containers.
- During the fall harvest I often purchase special shape canning jars and fancy labels and set these “special” canned items aside to make my own gift baskets out of.
- Of course those who can sew, knit and crochet can use these talents to create something for the special people on their gift list.
Now trying to find a useful gift for a person that is self-reliant or a “Prepper”, that is affordable, may be a bit more difficult. It’s not impossible, especially if you shop year round. For more details and ideas for these family and friends see “Everyday & Holiday Gift Ideas for Your Prepper Family and Friends”
For Traditional December Holiday Herbs and what they mean see Rockport Herbies.
For more tips and suggestions read on ...